German volunteers have been spending several months in Nicaragua every year since 2008 and work on a voluntary basis in the “La Casita del Árbol” library project. After impressive stays, the desire arose to also provide support from Germany.
On November 4, 2012 the time had finally come. Many former volunteers of the “La Casita del Árbol” project had managed to meet in Friolzheim for an information event about the project and the subsequent founding meeting of the Puente Nica eV association.
The 14 founding members have now become 43 members, many of whom have been former volunteers from social projects in Nicaragua that Puente Nica has supported since it was founded. In early 2016, we were joined by the Enrique Schmidt Scholarship initiative, a group of young Nicaraguans studying in Germany. Together, we are now also awarding full-time scholarships to high-performing Nicaraguans who would like to study a university career in Nicaragua. In addition to our annual general assembly in November, we meet several times a year for working meetings in various cities in Germany.
Puente Nica eV works 100% on a voluntary basis and the executive board is supported in the ongoing work by several working groups (scholarships, public relations, book bus and exchange).
The board consists of 5 members:
- Sarah Schmidt (1st chair)
- Verena Prinz (2nd chair)
- Dr. Marcelo Pérez (Secretary)
- Anna Munkler (press officer)
- Simon Hempel (Treasurer)
The Puente Nica eV association currently focuses on the following three areas:
- Financial and human resources support for educational and cultural projects in Nicaragua.
- Awarding educational grants to young, talented and socially committed Nicaraguans.
- Promotion of intercultural exchange. We offer young, talented and socially committed Nicaraguans the opportunity to volunteer in Germany and get to know our culture. We also offer interested German volunteers the opportunity to get involved in our projects in Nicaragua.